Marie-Hélène founded Momentum Legal Solutions in a desire to drive a boutique firm with best practices and top-tier client services in family law, litigation and equine law.
Marie-Hélène solved complex civil litigation cases focusing on contracts, property and torts while working for a top ranked litigation boutique and a major atlantic-wide firm. She started practicing family law to obtain Courtroom experience and developed a passion in helping families transition to their new normal, becoming the main focus of Marie-Hélène’s practice.
She earned a bachelor of Criminology from the University of Ottawa and began her career as a counsellor for teenagers and their families. Her background enables her to understand the complexities of relationships and life changes. While completing her Licence of Laws at the University of Ottawa, she worked on various family law and bioethics issues including custody, parenting and the right to know one’s origins, children’s rights, assisted reproduction and the Quebec Act Respecting End-of-Life Care as a research assistant. Life eventually brought her home to New Brunswick where she completed her Juris Doctor at Université de Moncton while being her mother’s primary caregiver.
Marie-Hélène successfully represented a wide array of clients, including spouses, parents, children, heirs, business owners and property owners before the New Brunswick Courts. Being a passionate advocate and fierce litigator, she strives to get the best outcome for her clients. She cares and is devoted to help Momentum Legal Solutions’ clients move forward.
Outside of work, you can find Marie-Hélène at the barn with her horses Checkers and Rio. She enjoys cooking and travelling with her husband Mark and practices yoga.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Vaccination des enfants: Zones grises du consentement (19 août 2021) Interview – Émission la matinale, Radio-Canada
- Amendments to the Divorce Act (2021) – Presentation for the Canadian Bar Association
- La vie de couple en temps de pandémie (31 août 2020) Interview – Émission la matinale, Radio-Canada
- Procedural Amendments to the Property Act – Pending or Final? (2019) – Presentation for the Annual Real Property Conference, Canadian Bar Association
- Danger on a Plate: An increase in food allergies is heating up the restaurant liability debate, (2016) LexisNexis Canada: The Lawyers Weekly
- L’envers d’un système de justice mal adapté aux victimes vulnérables: L’affaire Ghomeshi (2016) Astheure – opinion
- D’une acadienne abâtardie à un Québécois nombriliste, (2015) Astheure – opinion
- Ethics Committee – Law Society of New Brunswick, 2023-present
- Teacher – Centre Canadien de Français Juridique, 2022-present
- Volunteer – Bar Admissions Program, Law Society of New Brunswick
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, 2014-current
- Member, Association des juristes d’expression française du Nouveau-Brunswick (AJEFNB), 2016-current
- Deputy-Clerk, New Brunswick Court of Appeal, 2016-2020
- Board Member, Fredericton Therapeutic Riding Association (FTRA), 2017-2019
- President, Centre d’accueil et d’accompagnement francophone des immigrants du Sud-Est du Nouveau-Brunswick (CAFI), 2015-2017
Prizes and Recognitions
- Michaëlle Jean Centre for Global and Community Engagement Award for Leadership in the Community, 2014
- AEEDCO scholarship for Exceptional Contribution to Student Life, 2014
- Carmen Principato Scholarship, 2011
- Bourse de la francophonie, 2005 & 2006